The Lost Aprils

Does anyone wonder where the lost Aprils are
or, have those with insight all but disappeared?

Last night I wandered at evening's dusk,
and do you know what I saw?


Two small footprints,
captured forever
in the cement
at the sidewalk's edge.

In my mind's eye, I could see sturdy, sun-tanned legs,
as a little boy jumped and made his mark on the world.

I wonder, did he get into trouble for that leap of faith?
Was the experience spoiled for him?

Oh, those little footprints and the lost Aprils of life...
In innocence we reach out,
our hearts filled with trust and awe,
only to be bruised unbearably
by those who miss the magic in moments.

I like to think that someone came along,
and then listened,
as the little boy proudly showed off his footprints.
I like to think,
in fact, I dare to hope,
that he had someone to share his wonder with. 


© Melody Rhodes

Published in an anthology

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...