Storm

I want to run with the meadows
and leap with the grass,
fling out my arms
and embrace a storm.

I want to twirl and dance
as the rain pours down
in big splashy drops
that cool my brow
and make streamers
out of my untamed hair.

I want to run...
breathless, reckless in the rain,
racing unleashed to meet the thunder
as it booms and roars
and takes lionly pride
in its primitive power
to ravage the heavens,
to rend the valleys,
to shake the mountains,
to stir my heart.

Ah yes, I want to run
fleet and fast and frenzied,
abandon myself to the tumult,
the tempest,
thrill to the moment,
be captured till I soar...

Till I climb the clouds and gain the heights.

© Melody Rhodes
 

Publication
The Year's Best Poetry, Tickled by Thunder, 2003 
The Year's Best Poetry, SKAT, 2005
Superimposed on artist Rick Foller's painting, Cloudscape

 Photo 1: John William Waterhouse [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...