Moon Path

That night
we sat
on a beach
in B.C.

You spoke of the prairies,
of wheat rippling
golden
on the wind.

"Listen!" I said. "The water...
Do you hear the waves
gently whispering
on the shore?"

You nodded,
then described the vastness
of the prairie sky.

I pointed to the dark outline of the mountains
and confided how safe I felt,
cradled by those sleeping gentle giants.

"Oh, no," you said.
"The mountains hem a body in;
the mountains block the view."

I looked out over the lake,
where the moon was spreading a magical, silvery path.
You didn't see it.
You were describing the life we would make together.

Oh, that moon path...
It was my undoing,
for it showed me where I belonged.

My heart said a silent goodbye to you
and I knew you were lost to me.

Long
before
you ever
left.

© Melody Rhodes 

Author Note
A moon path on Kootenay Lake is an incredible sight when the waters are glassy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...